Baggage is one of the infrastructures of your airport, handled separately from passengers.
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Conveyor belts and baggage trucks make the handling of baggage more efficient. There are overground and underground belts available, as well as tilt trays.
Note that overground and underground belts are only cosmetic grade-separated and will intersect to cause a transition.
Baggage can be introduced to the system by:
- Passengers dropping off bags at a check-in desk
- Ramp agents dropping off bags from a loaded service truck (arrival baggage) to the cargo bay.
Baggage can exit the system by:
- Passengers claiming their baggage at a marked baggage claim
- Ramp agents loading baggage into departing aircraft from a loaded service truck.
- Destruction of baggage by a baggage destroyer.
Procurement[edit | edit source]
Baggage handling is a system that needs to be procured through the Procurement Menu. Upon receipt, additional items unlock for procurement, these include tilt trays and scanners.
Designing a functional baggage system[edit | edit source]
For a baggage system to function properly, there are many elements to account for:
- Conveyor belt connects a check-in desk to a cargo bay.
- (optional) Conveyor belt allows passage through baggage scanners and has a route for rejected baggage.
- A cargo bay is accessible both by ramp agents and service trucks. (the baggage bay room must be zoned as "secure")
- Conveyor belt connects a cargo bay with a baggage claim room. A baggage claim room must include accessible overground conveyor belts that passengers can retrieve their bags from.
It is imperative while constructing a baggage system that arrows are observed as they will direct the flow of baggage. In addition to designing the physical infrastructure associated with a functional baggage system, it is necessary for the player to manually assign stands (and by extension, check-in desks) and baggage claims to the desired cargo bays. A cargo bay can be assigned to an unlimited number of stands, but only one baggage claim room.
Directing baggage through complex systems[edit | edit source]
At points that converge, directing baggage is as simple as connecting conveyor belts together while ensuring the flow of baggage continues downstream.
At points that diverge, a tilt tray is necessary to properly sort baggage to one of two downstream belts. A tilt tray can only have two downstream belts, no more and no less. The settings of a tilt tray determine how baggage is sorted:
- Forward and Left, Forward and Right, Left and Right - these settings are used to equally distribute the baggage load into two streams.
- To destination - this setting is used to sort baggage according to the destination they need to reach (cargo bay or baggage claim).
Screening of baggage[edit | edit source]
Screening of baggage is performed by passing through scanners. There are two stages of scanners, (I) and (II)
Generic Baggage Scanner (I) is a basic scanner capable of automatic broad-range threat detection. Suspicious bags are redirected to the reject output.
Specific Baggage Scanner (II) is specific to the type of threat being screened for (Drugs, Guns, Explosives, Organics, Money). Suspicious bags are automatically redirected to the reject output.
Scanning Station is a staffed position that allows a security staff member to make a decision as to clear or reject a bag. It is typical to find the Scanning Station as a final point of decision for suspicious bags coming from upstream automatic scanners.
Reject outputs must eventually connect to a baggage destroyer that consolidates and removes rejected bags from the baggage system.
Baggage Tags[edit | edit source]
Baggage tags inform the player to the disposition of any bag. They will first show the flight number to which it is destined to, then whether or not a bag has been screened, and if screened, what its contents are.
Things to remember[edit | edit source]
- Baggage bay room must be zoned as secure (if it is outside of your main building make sure you build footpath to the new building)
- If your baggage bay is in separate building make sure you put new security check and exit or make sure there is a connected footpath from the boarding area to the baggage bay that is also zoned as secure.
- Hire Ramp Agent thought applications menu
- Conveyor belts can't cross over eachother(yet)